Currently, Blackstone Advanced Technologies employs 75 people and is a women-owned business. Ricky and Heather Turner purchased the business in 2014. Both wanted to move closer to home and this opportunity was the catalyst that brought them back home. Year 2014 for was very busy for the Turners. They bought their first house on October 3, got married on October 19 and on December 31, officially purchased Blackstone Advanced Technologies. And, most recently they welcomed a new baby into the world. The Turners are busy!
- Collaborate and cooperate with regional organizations that support conservation and sustainability.
- Unite diverse citizens who embrace the environment, whether for sacred, secular, or scientific reasons.
- Organize excellent grass roots programs to optimize teaching and learning experiences.
- Advocate for clean renewable energies, economies, and jobs.
- Encourage citizens to make green pledges at home, school, and work.
Becky Robbins introduced Jim Pullan Jr., Owner and President of Jamestown Mattress. Jim is a Falconer high school graduate. Jim worked at TRW/MRC/SKF before joining the family business.
Jamestown Mattress started in 1886 as the WI Blystone Mattress Company. The company has spanned four generations of families: Blystone, Chadwick, Finely and Pullan families. The Pullan family purchased the business in 1982 and changed the name to Jamestown Mattress. As they say, the rest is history!
Jamestown Mattress started with 3 employees with one factory showroom at the factory on Blackstone Ave. The company manufactured 5 different lines of bedding and average daily production of mattresses was 10-20 pieces per day.
Fast forward to today and Jamestown Mattress now has 38 employees with 7 showrooms in Pennsylvania and Western New York. Jamestown Mattress manufactures 35 different lines of bedding and their average daily production is now 130-160 pieces a day. Today, you will find 7 family members spanning 3 generations actively involved in the day to day operations of Jamestown Mattress. Truly, a hometown family-oriented business!
Jamestown Mattress sells their mattresses in different ways:
- Factory direct sales at 7 showrooms – 45% of annual sales.
- Wholesale/PL – Dormitory Authority of the State of New York (DASNY), Arhaus Furniture, Gardner Mattress - Institutional bedding, hotel/motel, private label, internet – accounts for 45% of sales.
- Contract Quilting – quilting for other bedding manufacturers, accounts for 10% of their sales.
Jim mentioned that the company is anticipating annual sales of $6.5 million for 2016-17. The fiscal year for Jamestown Mattress ends in July. Jim went on to explain the different type of bedding materials in detail.
Conventional bedding components
- Metal inner spring
- Polyurethane foam
- Cotton/Fiber pad
- Polyester/Cotton fabric
Specialty bedding components
- Gel copper graphic silver infused memory foam
- 100% natural latex
- Synthetic latex
- 100% organic cotton and wool
- 100% organic cotton fabric
As a good business always does, Jamestown Mattress has a plan for the future and looks to grow even more. Some of the ideas that are already implemented or are in the process are:
- Add additional stores.
- Purchase mattress compress and roll pack machine – creation of new web site and ship mattresses to customers across the US via UPS or FEDEX. To compete with the Casper’s of the world
- Market/Sell Mattress toppers to the College Student population – Creation of new web site; working on a patent for mattress toppers
In addition to their lines of bedding, Jamestown Mattress also provides custom mattresses for customers. A value-added service they offer to their customers that reflects their family-oriented atmosphere.
2. Increase connections between businesses
3. Containing health insurance cost through proactive solutions
4. Advocacy – reducing taxes, help businesses be more competitive
5. Supporting economic, workforce and tourism development
Look forward and not back,
Look out and not in, And lend a hand